I can’t believe we’re in the first week of March already! It’s officially summer in the Philippines, and accordingly, it has been another scorcher of a week. I love it! When I’ve been out in this hot weather I really look forward to eating something light and fresh. Quinoa is perfect as it’s fluffy and very satisfying, but doesn’t leave me feeling heavy. It’s also a great source of complete plant protein as it contains all nine essential amino acids.
This salad is super simple to make. I’ve added three kinds of herbs to make it beautifully fragrant, as well as some red onion, creamy chunks of avocado, pistachios for crunch, and pomegranate for a splash of colour. For the dressing, just use equal parts of olive oil to calamansi (lime) juice, and add a pinch of sea salt. That’s it!
I imagine that this would go perfectly with some ice cold home made lemonade… yum! Here’s my three herb quinoa salad recipe to give you some refreshing respite from the heat.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 red onion
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup pistachios
- ½ cup pomegranate
- ⅓ cup cilantro (coriander)
- ⅓ cup parsley
- ⅓ cup mint
- For the dressing:
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly.
- Add quinoa, 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Chop the red onion into small pieces and dice the avocado into bite size chunks. Finely chop the parsley, cilantro and mint.
- Once the quinoa is cooked and has cooled, mix with the onion, avocado, pistachios, pomegranate and herbs.
- Use equal parts of olive oil to calamansi juice and make the desired amount of dressing. Add salt to taste.