Being self employed, my work schedule is always unpredictable, and I never know when or where I will be eating. I usually try to take something with me, mostly so I know that there’s something delicious for me to work towards! One of my favourite meals to take is this rainbow coconut rice salad. It’s simple, fresh, needs no heating and is simply delicious! I love the sweetness (and the gorgeous fragrance) of the fresh coconut. You get so many textures from the creamy avocado, chewy rice and crunchy almonds. It also makes me happy just because it’s colourful!
Coconuts are definitely one of my favourite ingredients to work with. I feel so lucky to be living in a country where they are inexpensive and plentiful! There are many ways to cook with them – you can use the meat, water, oil or milk! Not only do they taste incredible, coconuts have heaps of wonderful health benefits. They nourish with their anti microbial properties, they aid digestion and balance blood cholesterol ratios.
Did I mention that they smell a-mazing?
- 1 cup rice (I mixed brown and red)
- 1 avocado
- 1 yellow pepper
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 1 carrot
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- slivered almonds
- For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- dash of calamansi/lime
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Boil rice with a pinch of salt. Once cooked, let it cool.
- Dice avocado, cucumber, onion, capsicum and carrot and tomato into small pieces. Add to the cooled rice, along with the coconut, slivered almonds and blueberries. Toss until mixed evenly.
- Drizzle dressing on salad and mix again.