A few years ago I lived and worked in India. I was based in Mumbai for 3 months, which was the most insane and wonderful experience. I have so many great memories from my stay. Walking down my road was a total sensory overload; a cacophony of people haggling at the market, rickshaws tooting and Bollywood hits being played on the radio. Ladies dressed in vibrant saris that would glisten under the blistering sun. The smell of chai being brewed in the street next to the intensely fragrant spice stands. It was total chaos but so much fun!
One of my favourite things about India is definitely the food. I wish I was able to travel around a bit more as every region is so different. I remember dining at my friend’s place and being served this amazing spiced yellow rice which smelt incredible. I thought of it the other day and decided to make my own version with brown rice, cinnamon and a handful of sultanas. I had it as a side and it was the perfect accompaniment to my roast veggies.
- 1 cup rice (I used a mix of brown & red)
- 1 red onion
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- ¼ cup sultanas
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- coconut oil
- Wash the rice & finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat up some coconut oil in a pan and fry the onion, garlic, cinnamon stick & turmeric for a few minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and fry for a couple more minutes. Add the salt & sultanas.
- Put 2 and a half cups of water in the pan. Bring to a boil, cover, then simmer for 30 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on the rice whilst it's cooking. Add extra water if necessary.