9 days till Christmas and the festive planning is in full force!
Having two parents from different countries (England and Japan) we have quite a confused albeit wonderful Christmas, with the food theme varying year to year. I can always count on loads of fresh produce to be on the table, catering to those of all dietary persuasions; from omnivores to vegans and everything in between. This year we’ve decided to bake a fresh snapper on the barbecue! There will be, of course, a feast of fruit and veggies including this very beautiful Christmas Tree Salad!
This recipe is actually the brainchild of my genius mother, who has been making the “Christmas Tree Salad” for a few years now. Isn’t it such a cute and creative way to present your veggies?
Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!
- 2 heads of broccoli
- ½ cup of blueberries
- 2 radishes
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- half a carrot
- Divide the broccoli into florets and cut the stems off the asparagus.
- Steam the broccoli and asparagus for 4-5 minutes, enough for them to turn a vibrant green colour, but still retain their crunch.
- Meanwhile, cut the radish and the carrot to make thin coins.
- Use a cookie cutter or a knife to make star shapes from the carrot.
- Once the broccoli and asparagus have cooled down, arrange them on a plate to make a tree (use broccoli for the branches and the asparagus as the trunk).
- Decorate your Christmas tree with carrot, radish, tomato and blueberry ornaments!
- Serve the left-overs in separate bowls with your Christmas Tree Salad.