I’ll be honest. At first, I was pretty sceptical when I was making this. As I proceeded to paste the mask across my face, I couldn’t help but think about how I should have had the avocado on my toast this morning. I had heard of the ‘I only put on my skin what I would eat’ mantra, but always thought it was a little extreme and wasn’t quite convinced. Well now I’ve sacrificed myself as the guinea pig, and I’m telling you – it totally works and my skin felt amazing afterwards! If you can get past the initial ‘I have guacamole on my face’ phase, you’ll love the result.
Growing up in Australia, I was always outdoors and playing some form of sport. The sun we have over there is extremely strong and the slightest lapse of care would result in sunburn. I’ve always used aloe vera for soothing and healing burns, but it was only recently that I started using it on my face to heal the red marks left from pimples. I swear by it now. Avocado has loads of natural oils that soothe and hydrate the skin, and leaves it feeling beautifully supple. The oats help to bind everything together, and act as a gentle exfoliant when you take it off your face.
Remember, this makes your skin feel and look great, but the best skincare always comes from within! Nourish your body and your skin will also reap the benefits.
- Half an avocado (feels nicer chilled)
- 1 Aloe Vera leaf (mine was approx 25) cm OR 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel
- ¼ cup oats
- Cut the aloe vera leaf horizontally to expose the gel inside, and scoop the gel out with a spoon.
- Put the aloe vera, avocado & oats in a food processor and blend until it forms a smooth paste*
- Apply the mask to a clean face and leave it on for anywhere from 15-30 minutes.
- Gently remove with warm water and a flannel, pat dry your face.
- Apply moisturiser and love your skin!